Friday 9 March 2012

Pictures and a Quick Update

I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Delhi and annoyingly can't upload any text documents that I've written so will have to wait until I get back to school for that. But here are some pictures from the trip that i haven't uploaded yet to keep Mummy and Daddy happy.


Here is my '400 rupee a night shoe box' from my second
night in Mumbai.


This boy in Dharavi, the Mumbai slum, clearly thought that
his goat was getting a little porky and is giving it some exercise.


Victoria Terminus, the central train station in Mumbai.


Possibly a very heavy night, but as this was taken in the
Muslim quarter I doubt it. And I did check that he was
breathing, don't worry.


Here's what 40 rupees gets you.
That bag weighs 30kgs so he will have a 
slight headache and possibly a cricked neck 
for the rest of the day while I got my 5 minutes 
of feeling like an Imperial Victorian explorer.

I'm off to Varanasi now for Deepak's brother's wedding so will let you know how it all goes as well as posting stuff about the school and various other things. The trip so far has been interesting, I drove down to Delhi with the headmaster's son so got an alternative perspective on driving in India, basically there are no rules and its every man or woman for himself. 

I then spent 2 hours in a queue for a train ticket and missed the last train to Varanasi but managed to get one for this morning. Then I had to consider options for the night. Louis and Frederique were out of town so I rang up a few hotels but they were all either full or unreachable. At this point the platform was looking fairly appealing so interested to see what sleeping on a platform is like I pulled up some concrete and lay down against a pillar. This is clearly not common practice for foreigners in India as the looks I got from passers-by were hilarious. I was soon joined on my pillar by a exceptionally drunk Punjabi called Jaspeer. He refused to accept that I was from Zimbabwe or England and kept insisting that I was from America, Canada or Saudi Arabia. I started playing the same game and insisted that he was from Mumbai or Simla. He got very confused, burst into tears and then fell asleep next to me. I read for a bit more then spotted a free bench so kipped there for the night. Sleeping at a railway isn't as fun as it sounds and it doesn't even sound very fun to be honest. The trains are very, very noisy and the loudspeaker doesn't stop, even so I managed to get a good few hours and don't feel too ropey this morning.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment