Tuesday 13 March 2012

Cricket Umpiring

For those of you from uncivilised countries that have never been exposed to the wonderful game of cricket, the umpire is like the referee, except he doesn't really move. He stands still, occasionally raising a finger or two or waving his arm about depending on what has just happened in the thrilling game in front of him. I've now umpired 5 matches in 6 days and each match has been about 4 hours meaning I've spent a hell of a lot of time standing very still on a dusty Indian cricket pitch.

(Thats me there in the blue)

 This afternoon was the closest I think I've come to falling asleep standing up as after 19 ½ hours the game isn't as interesting as it used to be. I've finally learnt all the rules though and has given me a lot of respect for the cricket coach here who yesterday umpired his 537th school cricket match, so I'm learning from the best I suppose.
I'm going to take a break tomorrow I think and then I'll let Rory Manley (my friend from Marlborough) do the honours for a while when he arrives next week Sunday.
Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment